Dark chocolate is definitely the healthier choice when it comes to chocolate, but why buy it when it is so easy to make and means avoiding the unnecessary emulsifiers/additives commonly found in pre-made chocolate. This is the most luxurious melt in your mouth chocolate that is vegan, dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free and uses only 3 key ingredients. It is also a source of magnesium and antioxidants.
25g cacao butter
15g cacao powder
15g coconut sugar
Pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
Toppings of choice e.g. roasted pecans, pomegranate seeds, edible flowers, puffed quinoa, goji berries
Add your favourite toppings and make it your own, anything goes!
1) Over a pan of simmering water melt the cacao butter in a bowl.
2) Once the cacao butter has melted turn off the heat and mix in the coconut sugar.
3) Next whisk in the cacao and salt.
4) Remove the bowl from the saucepan and allow to cool slightly.
5) Line a square mould (you can use anything, even a plate/bowl) with baking paper and pour in the chocolate mixture. Sprinkle your toppings of choice on top.
6) Refrigerate until set. If your fridge is cold enough the chocolate will be set and ready to eat in around 20 minutes. So you could make this before your dinner and it will be ready in time for dessert.
Estimated nutritional info for half the full recipe: Kcal: 168 Kcal, Fat 13g, Protein 2g, Carbohydrates 9g, Fibre 2g
Photography by Magda Tymczyj
Recipe by Sasha Paul